Monday, March 31, 2014

Letter #23 (February 24, 2014)

Where to start? As you know from last week's email, my week didn't
start put too great. Well, it went from bad to worse to great to
worst. I'm not even quite sure how to explain.

Maybe I'll just do an overview and then explain some things a bit more fully.

So this week I (not necessarily in this order):
Talked to a nun
Broke out into hives
Started teaching a dwarf actress
Got pulled over by the world's nicest cop
Waited for the bus for over 6 hours
Started teaching a crazy person
Hosted mini missionaries

Sounds like a pretty exciting week, no?

So let me briefly explain some of these.

The missionaries in my area went to a presentation by a Catholic lady
about missionary work, which is when I talked to some really sweet
nuns. I had no idea what the lady was talking about most of the he
time, but luckily a former Catholic (he converted last year) drove us
home and explained some of it to me.

I broke out into hives after doing service for the dwarf actress that
we taught after cleaning her very dusty porch. She is amazing.
Seriously. That was definitely the most powerful lesson that I have
ever been in. She totally believes everything. All of it. She started
crying when we had her read the first vision. By the end of it, all
three of us (her, me, and my companion) we're crying. It was
incredible. The hives were worth it.

On Wednesday we had zone conference. We were sitting at the bus stop
in front of our apartment and it was NOT coming. (Which became a
reoccurring theme for the week). Luckily I was completely inspired to
call one sister from the ward who I have never talked to before. She
happened to be right in our neighborhood. Which doesn't happen, ever,
because we live 15 minutes (driving) out of our area. Buts he happened
to be there. It was crazy. Well on the way to the conference, we get
pulled over out of the blue. She hadn't done anything wrong. We'll
apparently one of the tail lights was out. She's scrambling for the
registration (it was her daughter's car, not hers) when the cop asked
where we were going. She says "I'm driving some missionaries to a
meeting" and he immediately was like "well, I don't want to keep
you,here's your license, have a great day!" What?!?! We got pulled
over by good cop. Seriously.

Heavenly Father definitely helped us out 100% with that one.

So basically we take the same bus a couple if times a day. It goes
straight from out apartment to the metro Goldline station. The only
one that can take us to our area. Well, it's been anywhere from 45
minutes to an hour late every single time we try to take it. It's
awful. And getting rides from members is really difficult because we
do live so far away and everyone in the wad is super busy all the
time. So we've been getting really frustrated with that.

And then there's our other new investigator. I'm not going to go into
details, but let's just say that I have been even more tired than
usual, have had a steady migraine, and have been on the verge of tears
for most of the week. And I'm actually handling it pretty we'll
considering. There's no good way to explain, so I'll leave it at that.
She's getting baptized on March 22 though, which is really exciting.

And finally, we hosted some mini missionaries this weekend! Four young
women came to our pad Friday night and then one came out with each of
us for the day on Saturday. Luckily that was the one time that the bus
decided to actually come on time. It was actually really fun! I
honestly wasn't too excited at first, only because I was completely
exhausted from the rest of the week (we had just had our second lesson
with the afore mentioned investigator, we taught her twice and then
she came to church yesterday). But it was nice, the young woman that I
had was really great. She didn't complain at all, even though it was a
crazy amount of walking (I took advantage of having an un-injured
comp, poor Sister Lee has been such a trooper, but it has been really
difficult to do a lot of walking) and we didn't even veto teach any
one. Although I wish that I could tell her that the less active member
that we stopped by came to church yesterday! I was so excited! He
didn't stay for all three hours because he felt out of place I his
jeans and plaid shirt, but he said that he'll definitely come next
week In a white shirt and slacks! But anyway, the mini missionary was
great and I really enjoyed just having a less hectic, regular day in
the life of a missionary. The rest of the week definitely has not been
the norm, in good and bad ways.

Anyhow, I hope that you didn't fall asleep reading the novel that I
just wrote. I'm sorry for complaining so much, I really am so grateful
to actually have some people to teach and to be on my mission. I am
definitely learning a whole lot of patience right now.

Please pray for me and my companion. We really really need it.

I love you all so much! Write me! I didn't have any letters this week!

~Sister Kretchman

Ps- I wasn't able to send my weekly email to everyone last week, so
I'll resend it.


Her and her comp at Panera Bread:





No comments:

Post a Comment