Monday, March 31, 2014

Letter #26 (March 17, 2014)

I go home in exactly a year today. Woah. I'll have to find a cute outfit with green in it... But really. It's SO weird to think about. I don't like to think about it, I'm just going to stay here forever.

But anyway, Glendora is really great! The members here are AMAZING. They are so helpful! We always have members to help us out and everything just revolves around missionary work, as it should. It is SO nice to be in such an actively involved ward. I love it!

Some really cool things have happened this week. That sweet old couple that I told you about are Adriana and James. Adriana still hasn't come to church, but James has come for the last three Sundays! And he is so cute! When we taught him on Saturday, he said that he became interested because he has really been able to see changes in Adriana since she started meeting with us. He said that she used to be a lot more grouchy, it was so funny. We have a baptismal date set for the two of them, but unless Adriana comes to church, it's not going to happen. We just don't know what to do with her! She always talks about how she wants to be a good Mormon and everything and how she is determined to come to church, but then, come Sunday, James is there and she is not. We just don't know what to do.

Oh, funny thing about them. We've never actually seen the two of them together. Apparently their dogs are crazy, so someone has to stay in the other room while we teach the other one. So we've only ever seen Adriana OR James at any give time. Weird no?

But anyway.

We also had a couple of really spirit-filled lessons. One was with an investigator that found the gospel in prison. He is realy amazing. He is trying so hard to turn his life around and is really excited to be baptized. But. He is still married to his wife while living with a woman that he considers to be his wife. He hopefully filed the divorce papers this weekend, but he said that it usually takes around 6 months to take effect. That's a long ways away. But we're hopeful that he really will be baptized once he is able to marry that other woman.

The other one was really frustrating. It was with a part member family. He is a less active RM and she is a non-member. We taught them about the BoM and he bore his testimony about how it is true and even told us that he recognizes the Spirit when we are there. But he's not ready to change. He knows that it's true, but just doesn't care. It is so frustrating! He is a really nice guy and I just hate to see him ignoring all of these blessings that Heavenly Father is just waiting to give him. They are trying to have a baby though, so hopefully he'll snap out of it for the sake of his child. His family could be so much happier/have more peace/guidance in their lives. I really think that if he showed the example, she would follow. I really hope that he changes his mind. I guess we'll see.

I'm done ranting now.

So some funny/cool/weird things:

I live off of Route 66!
I got a caricature done during a member dinner. I've ALWAYS wanted one of those!
We have a crazy cat that poops on our mat in the backyard. We named it Sir Poops-a-lot. When it meows it sounds like it's giving birth. We threw the mats out and it hasn't pooped out there since, but we still hear it meowing at night. Bizarre.
We did another mini missionary activity. Cool story about that: one of the YW that went with some other sisters had the prompting to go to her one NM friend's house. They taught him the first lesson and committed him to be baptized!
For St. Patrick's Day, we looked up "green" in the LDS music app and so sang "Dear to the Heart of the Shepard." I looked down and saw that the music was written by someone who's last name is Kirkpatrick. I thought that that was appropriate for the holiday. 
And last but not least, we came up with "couple" names for our companionships. I'll attach the picture. It's pretty great. There wasn't really a good way to combine Child and Kretchman.... It makes me think of the Jungle Book.

Anyway, I love you all a ton!

~Sister Kretchman

PS- Top-ah-oo is how you say Tapau



My caricature! Which was drawn the ONE day that I didn't wear a flower in my hair. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment