Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Letter #31 (April 21, 2014)

Happy late Easter everyone! I hope that you all had a wonderful, Christ-centered Easter.... and ate candy until you got sick.

Easter on my mission was amazing. Well, Easter week in general. I'm sure most of you saw my #BecauseofHim posts on Facebook. If you haven't seen the video yet, watch it. Right now. Do it. I've watched it about a bajillion times this week and it still gets to me every time. Even just listening to the music, I can just picture what's happening. The people that made it were definitely inspired. I loved being able to just completely focus on all the the Savior has done for all of us and what the Atonement means for me in my life.

This week was a hard week. We have been struggling to meet with a lot of our investigators and we have had to drop a couple. It was the perfect week to remember that someone else knows how the disappointment and frustration feels. He made it possible for us to keep trying; to do a little bit better each day. And while this week was tough, it was also SO good. James is getting baptized this Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just a tad excited. Can you tell? I bet you can. 

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. He just has the sweetest testimony and is just so ready. I couldn't help but smile when he prayed yesterday after our lesson with him, he said "I'm really excited to be baptized, I'm nervous, but I'm ready to go." It made me think of The Best Two Years, "I'm fine! I'm ready to go!" But he is. He is so ready and SO excited. He has such a sincere desire to follow Jesus Christ. He also told us that one of his co-workers stopped him the other day and asked him what his recipe is for happiness. "You always used to look kind of grumpy, but now you are smiling all the time and just seem to glow with happiness." That was such a sweet moment for us. I can't imagine James looking grumpy, but he has said himself that he has been able to see a change in himself since he first came to church. I have been so blessed to have the opportunity to teach him. I'm so happy that Heavenly Father has given me this great privilege. He truly is amazing.

In other news, his wife dropped us this week. She said that she feels like something is holding her back (SATAN) and that she doesn't want to take any more lessons right now but that she will resume at some point and still wants to be baptized as some point. We're not really sure how to help her at this point. We'll see what happens.

Some more good news though! We had an Easter activity this Saturday and we had an investigator family come! I really think that they enjoyed it! And it was so sweet because the son, Johnny, was so excited to do the Easter egg hunt, but when I saw him once it was over, he didn't have any eggs. I asked him if he had found any and he said "Yeah, I found a whole bunch, but I saw a kid that only had one, so I gave him all of mine." I couldn't believe it! Let's just say that Johnny's not the kind of kid that I would have pegged to give away all of his candy. So when he told me that I was just so proud of him and so happy that he got to have that experience of really feeling compassion for someone else.

Anyway, something silly that happened this week: I broke one of the elder's kick stand clean in half! His bike seat looked really cushy and so I gave it a try. Next thing I know I hear a ping! And fall over! I was horrified! I felt SO bad! Luckily they had an extra at the mission office, but still. I felt horrible. He wasn't mad at all though, he was really sweet about it. Pictures to come.

Welp, I'm drawing a blank about what else to write, so I guess I'm done.

I love you all! Have a great week!

~Sister Kretchman

Here's us and the totally ghetto Easter bunny at the ward activity!



She really wanted to buy this but it was 20 bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment