Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Letter #35 (May 19, 2014)

So this week was zone conferences! I LOVE zone conference. It was kind of cool this time around though because I went to ALL of them. I went to zone conference five days in a row.

As I wrote in my last weekly email, we went to lunch at all of the zone conferences to do nurse stuff. It was a lot of fun seeing everyone all over the mission, and we ate well everyday! It was funny though, at both of the Spanish zone conferences, we weren't quite sure how to eat the food, so we looked around us and tried to copy the Spanish missionaries lead... I didn't quite master eating the food, but I did manage to eat, so it was okay. It was really funny though! Plus people kept trying to speak Spanish to us... 

Speaking of different languages, we went on exchanges this weekend and my temporary companion contacted a deaf man in sign language! It was so cool! I only caught bits and pieces because I have VERY limited signing knowledge, but it was really neat! There are two signing sisters in our mission and they are both in this zone, so hopefully they can rig things so that they can teach him! That would be so cool! He would come to our ward, so we'll have to figure that one out, but I think that it would be wonderful to have him :)

But I digress. Zone conference (the actual zone conference, not all of the lunches) was SO GOOD. As always. But it seemed to be especially powerful because this was our last zone conference with President and Sister Becerra. Which is SO sad to think about. I love them so much! It will be interesting to see what the new President brings! We've all been praying for him and his family. They are coming up from Mexico and they have three kids under the age of 18 coming with them, so it's quite the upheaval. 

One thing that we learned at zone conference that we're really implementing this week is to build up the members by teaching them how to be more effective member missionaries. We're doing our first lesson with a member couple tonight, so we'll see how it goes! We're trying to help people to really catch the vision of missionary work.

Back to exchanges though. Yeesh, I forgot that that's when most of the exciting stuff happened. (Only because it's the only day that we had the full day to work without having to drive to Timbuktu for a zone conference)

So we tried by Cynthia again. I don't know if you remember who she is. She was the referral from an inactive member that we got. It was a good contact, we set an appointment with her, were really excited, and then no one answered when we showed up for the appt. And when we tried to call, the phone was disconnected.

BUT. We caught her at home this weekend! When she came to the door she immediately apologized for missing our appt and said that she has had to quit one of her jobs that day. She also said that she couldn't pay her phone bill, so her number was disconnected. She said that the best way to contact her at the moment is through Fb. She said all of that before we said a word! She really seemed to feel bad. So we set up another appointment and promised to add her on Facebook! It was so cool, because I found her and added her and then the next time I checked Facebook, she had accepted the request and wrote this on my wall:
"Hey! So happy you found me! Looking forward to see you on Friday!"

How cool is that?!

Anyway. I also got crispy fried during exchanges. We both did. That's my first bad sun burn since I came out. Crazy huh? I expected to get fried way sooner than this because I have a tendency to forget to put on sunscreen... Don't kill me mom, I'm working on it! Anyway, it's a pretty beast sunburn. And I have a necklace tan now! Haha

I don't know if I told you that I was going to sing on Sunday or not. But I didn't actually get to because the sister that I was singing a duet with had something come up. So a member of the bishopric came up to me after RS and asked if I could give a talk next Sunday. So of course I accepted. I told him that maybe I could do my musical number next Sunday too and then speak right after so that I can thank myself for the wonderful Spirit that the song brought. We'll see if that actually happens or not. I'll let you know.

I love and miss you all! Have a great week!

~Sister Kretchman

Breakfast of Champions. Running late for Ward Council.


It's only May and this is the temperature:

No comments:

Post a Comment